Covering your garment with violence…
You cover the altar of the Lord with tears,
With weeping and crying;
So He does not regard the offering anymore,
Nor receive it with goodwill from your hands.
Yet you say, “For what reason?”
Because the Lord has been witness
Between you and the wife of your youth,
With whom you have dealt treacherously;
Yet she is your companion
And your wife by covenant.
But did He not make them one,
Having a remnant of the Spirit?
And why one?
He seeks godly offspring.
Therefore take heed to your spirit,
And let none deal treacherously with the wife of his youth.
“For the Lord God of Israel says
That He hates divorce,
For it covers one’s garment with violence,”
Says the Lord of hosts.
“Therefore take heed to your spirit,
That you do not deal treacherously.” (Malachi 2:13-16)
I just ate my 4th of July hot dog, grilled to perfection in my microwave, sitting alone in the kitchen of the house I designed and help build for my wife… I never asked for this level of independence.
I feel violated. I cannot think of another way to describe it. What I am experiencing in divorce is no less demeaning, destructive, or excruciating than most felony offenses. Yet, this is perfectly legal to do to someone. I actually would prefer to have been beaten within an inch of my life or even murdered to what I am going through right now. I literally have never felt such pain in all of my life, and I have experienced some serious pain.
If you’ve stumbled across this because you are a Christ follower who is considering divorce, STOP. Forget the escape clause. Read the whole Book. Read all of the stuff in red. Read everything it says about marriage and divorce from Genesis to Malachi to Matthew to the Epistles. GOD HATES DIVORCE! He hates it for good reason.
Divorce should be illegal. I would rather have been murdered. That’s really what this is. That person, the one person to whom we exposed our nakedness and vulnerability, the most significant person in our lives has essentially said, “I wish you were dead“. Then they come to take their share of everything you have together, often running off to share it with someone new.
Whatever lies Satan has planted in your mind, ignore them.
- No, your kids won’t get over it!
- No, you won’t be happier in the long run. You are in rebellion from God, and you will have no peace.
- No, your spouse does not deserve “better”. Your spouse deserves you!
- Love is not a feeling. It is an act of sacrifice that you agreed to before God until one of you dies.
- The grass is not greener on the other side of the fence, it is greener where you water it.
- This lover that seems so exciting and understands you so well and is so perfect for you is committing one of the most atrocious and evil acts in the entire scriptures and is drawing you into it. That person does not truly “love” you if he or she desires to destroy your soul or your family. They may lust for you, but they do not love you.
If you had to go to God for a divorce instead of an attorney, what would you say? How would your current argument hold up under the scrutiny of the Lord of hosts, who created the institution of marriage and joined you on your wedding day? Good luck.
Listen to God now, and save yourself some pain and detours. I know he’s speaking to you. He may be screaming at you to stop, but you are ignoring Him. You want to be “happy”. How can God not want you to be “Happy”? Take some time and seek the Lord.